We welcome membership applications from a wide variety of people. Are you:
- A fully qualified and practising business psychologist?
- An HR professional?
- A psychologist from another discipline who works in business?
- A manager with an interest in applying psychology to your workplace?
- A management consultant?
- An OD practitioner?
- A student in business or occupational psychology?
- Or simply someone who has an interest in people’s behaviour at work?
Whatever your background we offer a level of membership to suit you.
Levels of Membership
The ABP membership levels have recently been revised to reflect our move towards giving more equal weight to the knowledge of business psychology and social sciences (i.e. a relevant qualification) and the practice of business psychology and methods, models and frameworks used in social sciences (i.e. experience).
These categories of membership reflect our recognition of your expertise in the field of people’s life at work, and may have arisen from a wide variety of backgrounds:
- Principal Practitioner: Fully postgraduate qualified practitioner combining formal education in psychology or social sciences (such as: anthropology, behavioural economics, political science, economics, sociology, archaeology, culture) with extensive professional experience.
In practice this means a minimum of five years’ experience as a Business Psychologist or as a qualified user of psychology and social sciences principles, models, methods and framework, as an extensive part of your work. Able to operate professionally without supervision, as well as having a postgraduate qualification in psychology, social sciences or equivalent.
- Practitioner: Degree level qualified practitioner, working as a Business Psychologist or using psychology and social sciences principles, methods and framework, in their work.
In practice, this means minimum two years’ experience in a role where the application of principles of psychology has made an important contribution to your work, as well as a degree in business psychology or other social sciences, or equivalent.
- General Member including General Member/Student: People who have an interest in business psychology and/or people who are currently undertaking degree level education in business psychology, or relevant social sciences (such as: anthropology, behavioural economics, political science, economics, sociology, archaeology, culture) but do not yet meet the criteria for the categories above.
We encourage members to continue to gain both knowledge and experience, and as such we welcome applications for upgrades through the various membership categories, as you gain additional formal knowledge and depth of experience.
To submit for an upgrade to your current membership category please complete the relevant section of the Application Form.