Treasurer (Board position)
Hours: Approximately 10 hours per month plus monthly Board meetings
The Association for Business Psychology (ABP) was established in 2000, with the sole purpose championing business psychology. All ABP activities are carried out by, or under the guidance of, a Management Board made up of volunteers, who in turn also use volunteers to assist them with carrying our key activities. There are four officers, each are an elected member of the board, and their term in office lasts until the next appointment. These are the Chair, Vice-Chair, Company Secretary and Treasurer.
The ABP is looking to engage a new volunteer to join the Board with the aim of being elected Treasurer as the term of office for the current Treasurer is soon to expire. The ABP is undergoing a period of rapid growth in terms of both its offerings to members as well as the number of members themselves and therefore requires someone who understands how to manage an efficient and effective finance function at a director level.
- Contribution to the ABP’s policies and strategic decision making at Board Meetings.
- Oversee the financial policies and procedures of the ABP to ensure they meet the requirements of the Organisation.
- Chairing the Finance and Admin Committee to deliver process improvements and to implement new activity streams or systems.
- Preparation of financial targets and ongoing performance management against agreed income and expenditure.
- General financial management duties such as cash flow management, risk management, approval of expense payments, debtor management, and management of the invoicing schedule.
- Preparing the financial policy on long-term financial planning and ensuring compliance with financial policies determined by the board.
- Assessing the viability and benefit of any investment decisions including the longer term impact on the membership.
- Ensuring the Board complies with all financial requirements resulting from the Companies Act and HMRC (including accounting, financial record-keeping, reporting of financial accounts, VAT and other tax returns, and the Independent Examination of Accounts).
- Managing the relationship with the company’s accounting support and membership administrators to ensure they meet the required service levels.
- Ensuring the safe-keeping of all financial information and passing this on to any successor.
- Management of the membership renewals process.
- Management of a team of Finance Support Volunteers.
- Additional responsibilities as agreed in the Board Meetings.
Qualifications and skills
- Practical knowledge of how a finance function works including accounting procedures, risk management cash management
- Good financial analysis skills
- Motivated and reliable in completing their agreed tasks to deadline
- Ability to communicate to Board level stakeholders
- Experience of planning, managing and executing projects
- Understanding of the problems faced in fast growing companies
- An interest in the field of Business Psychology
Desirable: ACCA/ACA/CIMA qualified/part qualified Accountant
The role requires approximately 10hrs of work a month in addition to attendance at the monthly Board meetings (either in person or virtually). The number of hours may change depending on the requirements of the ABP and the Treasurer’s availability.
To apply and for further information about this role, please email email@example.com.