Finance Support Volunteer
Hours: Approximately 5 hours per month
Reporting to: Esther English, Treasurer
The Association for Business Psychology was established in 2000, with the sole purpose championing business psychology. All ABP activities are carried out by, or under the guidance of, a Management Board made up of volunteers, who in turn also use volunteers to assist them with carrying our key activities, such as organising of the annual conference, local events, accreditation of universities, etc.
To this end, the ABP Treasurer is now seeking to engage the support of a volunteer to assist with the organising and management of the Association's finances and associated tasks.
These include supporting the Treasurer in:
- Preparing the financial policy and advising on longer-term financial planning including investment policy and long term financial risk
- Ensuring compliance with any financial policies that may be determined by the Board.
- Ensuring the Board complies with all financial requirements resulting from the Companies Act (including accounting, financial record-keeping, reporting of financial accounts, VAT and other tax returns)
- Preparing budgets and end-year accounts
- Overseeing In-year financial control
- Ensuring compliance with HMRC issues
- Authorising any payments as agreed by the board, including all travel and other legitimate expenses (against appropriate invoices/ receipts)
- Managing the reserves and investments of the Association so as to achieve good value for money in accordance with an agreed risk profile
- Ensuring the safe-keeping of all financial information and passing this on to any successor.
- Managing the relationships with Financial suppliers – mainly KSAM and Metherell Gard
Current work which requires some attention:
- Cashflow management and coordinating the resolution of debtor queries.
- Supporting the membership committee with the financial process for renewal of existing memberships and the joining of new members.
- Analysing the performance of key strategic initiatives and providing briefing papers for the Management Board.
- Tracking of ABP financial performance against budget and target.
- Encouraging new and existing members to renew and adopt direct debit.
The following qualities are considered desirable:
- Some knowledge of/interest in company finances
- Willingness to look into the detail of finances
- An eye for detail
- An ability to engage with multiple stakeholders
- Strong problem solving ability
- Ability to understand a P&L and Balance Sheet
This role is flexible and the amount of time involved can be increased/decreased depending on other commitments. It is anticipated that the role will require approximately 5 hours per month.
To apply, please complete the application form, noting why you are suitable for this role.