“The Home and Voice of Business Psychology”
To be widely recognised as promoting professional excellence and a community of practice in business psychology, advocating and developing the informed application of its research, bodies of knowledge and methodologies by all those involved in improving business performance and the quality of working lives.
Our Mission (What we do, who for, how)
“We help members to improve relationships between people and the organisations they create, based on an evidence-based understanding of people’s behaviour. We do this everywhere.”
What do we do?
We run events (conference, awards, training, speaking), accredit relevant University courses, publish articles and books, moderate a LinkedIn group, support local networks and build partnerships with other associations.
Those who have an interest in and respect for psychology at work, whether a practicing Business Psychologist; a Student or Academic in this field; an HR, Learning, Resourcing or OD practitioner; or an Executive or Manager keenly interested in how psychology shapes them and their ability to lead and engage others.
- Being inclusive: welcomingall those who embrace Business Psychology
- Being accessible: helping to make the application of Business Psychology user-friendly
- Promoting Business Psychology: raising awareness of the specialist value of Business Psychology for people and organisations
- Demonstrating best practice: sharing examples of Business Psychology’s application
- Building capability: enabling the development of Business Psychology knowledge/skills
- Being sustainable: operating as a financially sound Association
Because when it comes to work, everything which results in success (employee and customer engagement, efficiency and productivity, profit and happiness) is the result of good practice using business psychology.
Domains of Practice:
- Employee psychology
- Marketing psychology
- Consumer psychology
- Behavioural economics
In commercial and public sector organisations, not-for-profits and social enterprises
“Ensure visibility and impact to a broad-base, whilst ensuring financial sustainability”
- Increase the visibility and impact of the ABP with our key stakeholders as defined in our mission
- Create a more diverse, broad based membership who is actively involved in the exchange of information and mutual learning, so as to improve the effective application of psychology in the world of work
- Fundamentally improve the financial viability of the ABP so that we can actively invest in activities that benefit our members
- Grow membership by 300-500 - 40% through member advocacy, 30% through the continual enhancement and promotion of the ABP’s core activities [as per priority 3 below], 30% through corporate membership.
- Broaden interest in our corporate member proposition - Approach businesses and consultancies to develop a corporate membership proposition. Enrol 8-12 companies as corporate members.
- Enrich the membership experience Increased focus on webinars, repeat the ‘evolution of’ event, create articles/content aligned to our 4 themes for 2017 – Game Changers, Key Trends, Psychology of Change and Ambiguity; Leadership.
- Break-even services - Continue to ensure that our individual service offerings are operating at, or above, break-even. Budget for, and achieve, a profit of more than £20k to be reinvested in Association resources and services to members in 2018.
- Shape industry standards – Continue to support and promote formal learning through accreditation of at least 10 Universities, Continue to recognise students through our awards scheme. Create and publish a Business Psychology Framework and write a paper outlining a certification process for the title ‘Business Psychologist’. Create a corporate training accreditation process. Explore doctorate accreditation. Explore the creation of standards for assessments on mobile platforms.
- Partnerships – Continue to work closely with Engage, DOP, CIPD, Connect Business Media (AI/Social Robotics Conference) and Psychology at the Movies - to drive mutual value for members and increase ABP awareness/visibility.